Terror Alert Level

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Monster Coat Hangers


I find this hilarious.


...his brother ran an experiment on him and four other audio aficionados listening to a new CD from a new group blindfolded. Seven different songs were played, each time heard with the speaker hooked up to Monster Cables, and the other time, hooked up to coat hanger wire. Nobody could determine which was the Monster Cable and which was the coat hanger. The kicker? None of the subjects even knew that coat hangers were going to be used.


Back in my days as a salesman for a large national electronics chain, I would try to convince people that no, they didn't need the 8 gauge speaker wire unless they were pushing incredibly high power (higher than anything we sold) or speaker runs that were miles long. And no, for most home applications, you don't need the gold plated connectors. The "regular" connectors and the zip cord are just fine. Of course, the audio snobs scoffed (why they were in that store in the first place is beyond me) and the manager didn't like me pushing the low margin shit, but I have a thing about ripping people off. Most people ignored me anyway, but its nice to be vindicated.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?