Terror Alert Level

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Gourds Mr. Rico! Zillions Of 'Em!

I grew hardshell gourds last year, thinking we could make a few birdhouses this spring. Well, we had a bumper crop. I have dozens of gourds curing in the attic, and no idea what I was going to do with all of them. Anyway, a few days ago, The Better Half mentioned that they were studying birds this week at the preschool where she teaches. The lightbulb appeared over my head. "Hey honey, why don't you take some of those gourds in the attic and let the kids make birdhouses?" Great idea, until I realized that I was the one tasked with cleaning, drilling, and priming the birdhouses for little hands to paint. Here's one of the finished products. The tykes will paint them, after which wifey will bring them home for me to varnish, and then the toddlers will take them home for their parents to place in the yard for our feathered friends.

I'll post a pic or two of the finished gourds. Just be kind, these are two year olds who will be painting.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?