Terror Alert Level

Monday, April 24, 2006

Oh Say Can You See?

I was at Ft. McHenry in Baltimore for their Civil War event last weekend. Far more famous for being the inspiration for our National Anthem, the fort was a military post until 1912. During the Civil War, it housed seditious Baltimorians. A stockade outside the fort contained captured Confederates prior to assignment to prison camps like Elmira and Sandusky.

We helped portray the Provost Marshal's troops, who were responsible for keeping order in the fort. We bunked down in the guardhouse, right next to the cells, one of which is supposedly haunted, if you believe that sort of thing.

Since we were portraying a unit in garrison, I got out the polish, and shined up the U.S. plates on my cartridge box and waist belt, along with the eagle plate on my cartridge box sling. I thought I was ready to stand inspection, but we fell in with the Regulars, and their first sergeant singled me out because the company letter and buckle on my forage cap weren't shined!! You'd think they'd cut me some slack for being with the Pennsylvania Volunteers!

Anyway, it rained all weekend, which seriously cut down on the number of tourists at the fort. Having lots of tourists to talk to and interact with is the key to a living history event, so the rain was a real bummer, and the threat of lighting cancelled our planned march through Baltimore.

Although the rain curtailed our fun, we still got to do some firing demonstrations, and a good time was had by all, with the exception of those who drank entirely too much at the bar Friday night, and spent Saturday hurting!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?