Terror Alert Level

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Yinz Want Fries With That An'at?

Long time readers will know, that despite a diet devoid of red meat and heavy on beans, rice, pasta, and fish, I was diagnosed with terminally high chlorestoral and triglycerite levels, along with borderline high blood pressure. Hence, the demise of Project Pantry. Doc prescribed a low-carb diet, and told me it was perfectley fine to eat sausage, red meat, and cheese, so long as I exercise (I do) and eat my veggies (which I also do).

Results? I lost 30 pounds, my BP is normal, my triglycerite levels are nearly normal, my "bad" chlorestoral is in normal ranges, and my good chlorestoral is now measurable.

So what is this leading up to? As noted, I never ate red meat. Doc asked why, and I told him that I rarely had it, and I always felt like crap afterwards. He theorized that I felt bad because my body wasn't used to processing meat, and suggested that I reintroduce meat into my diet gradually. I did, and now I have no problem with ingesting cows.

On to the "meat" if you will, of the post. While blog surfing the otherday, I perused Anthony and Tunesmith's fine blog (check them out, you'll find them most fascinating and charming). Included was a recipe for hamburgers that incorporated a slice of bacon wrapped around the patty. Well now, I gotta try this! Heavily smoked and nitrated pig is a favorite!

A phand of grahnd rhand, one onion, two cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of Mrs. Dash's Salt-Free Steak Seasoning and a rasher of bacon later, the George Foreman Grill was ready, and the first two experimental patties were set to sizzle. They turned out well, with the weight of the grill lid helping to forge the bacon into the burger.

Ready to eat (no bun thanks to the diet)!!!

Best. Fucking. Hamburger. Ever. Next time, I'll have to try adding a slice of cheese, but eating burgers with a fork and knife, sans bun, is still weird.

, , ,

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?