Terror Alert Level

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Gad-Zucchs!!


Boy, it has been a GREAT year for Zucchini! I'm harvesting about twice what I can eat each day from my single plant. This is a variety called "Gold Rush" which obviously, produces yellow fruit. I like this variety because the bright yellow fruit is easy to spot against the green leaves. Traditional zucchini can be hard to spot, and you wind up with tasteless, gigantic baseball bats. Also, the plant will shut down once it produces viable seed, so spotting and picking smaller veggies makes for a greater, and tastier, overall yield.

So what to do with this squash bonanza? I like this recipe, published in the Post-Gazette a few years ago for Mock Crab Cakes:

2 cups coarsely grated zucchini, unpeeled
1 onion, chopped fine
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 beaten egg

Combine everything, shape into patties (four large or six small), and fry in a skillet with oil until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.

I no longer have the clipping, so I don't know who originated this, but it is very good, and does taste a lot like crab cakes!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?