Terror Alert Level

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Soba

Its been awhile since I was out to eat, so we went to Soba in Shadyside last night. This restaurant is part of the Big Burrito Group, and is quite a bit more upscale than Mad Mex.

We sat by a flat stone wall with a thin veil of water flowing down it. I started with the calamari. It was a huge plate (more suited for two, but Llipgh doesn't like calamari, and opted for the Thai gazpacho), lightly breaded with a chili-flavored sauce. The calamari was perfectly done, some of the best I've had. I washed it down with a Corona, which was oddly skunky tasting.

For the main course, I had the sea scallops. These critters were huge, tender, and fresh. It came with a chickpea cake on the side, done up with zucchini, spinach, and cucumbers. I keep forgetting that the trend in fish these days is to undercook. I'd have preferred my scallops cooked for about 45 seconds more to firm them up, but forgot to mention that I like my seafood done that way (hey if I wanted the sushi, I'd have gotten the sushi!). I enjoyed a carafe of warm saki with my scallops.

The service was impeccable, and it was a great meal, with the exception of the beer. Dinner and drinks came to $100.00.

Soba is at 5847 Ellsworth Ave, Shadyside.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?