Terror Alert Level

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

My Oh My Thai!

Monday night I visited My Thai in Shadyside as part of my weekly resturant sampling. This is a nice little eatery on the thrid floor of 5401 Walnut Street. I started with the Crispy Wontons, which are described in the menu of as "ground pork, sweet radish, red onion, white onion, peanut, wrapped with wonton skin, then deep fried and served with homemade pineapple sauce. As advertised, they were crispy, and surprisingly light tasting. Yummy!

The menu indicates spiciness by the tried and true "chili pepper" indicator. No pepper pic, not at all spicy. One pepper mild, two pepper medium, and three pepper hot. Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

My main course was the Sawasdee Seafood, one of the resturant's specialties. This was a two pepper dish, and while I like hot and spicy food, I usually go with "medium" heat to gauge wether to get it a little hotter or a little milder the next time.

The dish included "shrimp, scallops, squid, and mussells stir-fried with broccoli, carrot, bell pepper and basil leaves" in what is described as the chef's "special sauce." The food arrived on a sizzling iron plate, with a bowl of sticky rice on the side. It was delicious, and although a little on the mild side for me, most palates would probably find it very spicy. The squid was slightly overcooked, making it a bit rubbery, but it was certainly edible and quite delicious. I washed it all down with a Thai beer. The proprietor came by the table and checked to make sure my food wasn't too hot, which I thought was very nice. I assured him that it was next to impossible to make my food too spicy.

Dinner for two came to just over 40 dollars. Well worth the money, and if you live nearby, they'll deliver!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?